Sunday, March 9, 2008

Kick It!

Coach Pelphrey went old school, circa 1987 Saturday afternoon in Fayetteville, because somewhere in his head he heard the first two words of the 21 year old Beastie Boys hit "Fight For Your Right (To Party)," and he complied by kicking the Razorback logo located on the front of the scorer's table and making a nice big hole (photo below courtesy of the Arkansas Dem Gazzette).



"I was hearing voices," said Pelphrey, "It wasn't the Beasties, it sounded more like Billy Gillespie or maybe Bruce Pearl's irritating vocals... I'm not sure. All I know is that the voice was coming from behind that Razorback logo and so I kicked it and the voices went away. Let me put the rumors to rest right now that I was somehow envisioning Gary Ervin's face when I did that. I was not."


Pelphrey had just witnessed some lazy defensive transition by his team that led to two Auburn free throws that cut the Arkansas lead to 13-11 early in the game. The Hogs promptly went on a 32-12 run to effectively put away Auburn.

The Hogs led by 19 at the half and Auburn never got any closer than 11 the rest of the way as Arkansas gets win number 20 and finishes with a 9-7 conference record. Even though it was senior day, it was sophomore Patrick Beverley who was the man as he went for a game high 27.

The Razorbacks get a first round bye in the SEC Tourney for finishing second in the West, and will most likely get Vanderbilt in the quarter-finals, which is not a matchup I wanted. I was hoping Vandy would have won yesterday and Kentucky would have lost today, but that didn't happen, so now Vandy is the 3 seed in the East instead of Kentucky.

How the seniors fared in their final game at Bud Walton Arena:

Darian Townes - 12 pts., 14 rbs.
Vincent Hunter - 7 pts., 4 rbs.
Gary Ervin - 2 pts., 7 assists
Sonny Weems - 7 pts., 5 rbs.
Steven Hill - 4 pts., 3 rbs., 3 blks.
Charles Thomas - 10 pts., 2 rbs.

No comments: